Zabb Thai Restaurant : : 01235 531115

 
History of the Building
 Number 12 is possibly the oldest building on the south side of Ock Street. Number 12 came into the possession of the Wrigglesworth Charity set up in 1647 to provide a preacher and alms for the poor.The preacher was John Pendarvis, Presbyterian vicar of St Helen's during the Civil War, who left St Helen's to lead the newly formed Baptist community. In 1653 number 12 was leased by Alice Wise, widow of Thomas who may also have leased “The Bear”.

William Jarrett,”Trumpetter” of the City of Oxford signed a lease in 1681 though may not have lived in the property himself. A member of a well established Abingdon family, he also rented a house in Oxford where he belonged to the Oxford Waits, a group of musicians who performed on ceremonial occasions. Andrew Etty signed leases in 1693 and 1703.

A Sergeant-at-Mace, he was appointed to be in charge of the Gaol in Abingdon in 1689 but moved to Oxford Castle as Keeper of the Prison in 1700 though he continued to lease and sublet property in Abingdon. His son, Charles, may have been the carpenter who worked on the Brick Alley Almshouses and the Council Chamber and perhaps also the alterations at number 12.

By 1901 the Refreshment Rooms were occupied by Thomas E. Bonner 29, a coal merchant born in Shepherd's Bush, his wife Mary, two small daughters and his mother-in-law, Elizabeth Cole 58, from Burford. There is no mention of properties in the yard. An entry in “Endowed Charities of the County of Berks” published in 1908 has “A dwelling house, garden and premises, No.12 Ock St. let to T.E.Bonner for 21 years from Midsummer 1901 at a yearly rent of £25”.

An undated photo held by the Oxfordshire Museum Services shows a carrier's cart, “T. Bonner, Oxford and Abingdon,” outside the premises of “BONNER Refreshment Rooms”.
In the early 2000s, there was a Cafe Gia's, then It has now been Thai Restaurant.